Tuesday, March 22, 2005

This is my Modelmaking 2 midterm project. It's a small model with 3 interlocking parts. To create these I first had to make 3 seperate silicon molds one for each peice. The peices were 1st sculpted in Renshape (synthetic woodlike material) and then used to make the clear silicon molds. After the molds were made I casted several models with Fast Cast (2 part catalyzing hardening resin, takes about 10 min. to harden) The best peices I painted and clear coated. The clear model was done the same way only using a clear hard Urethane. This was a hard project to complete well because of the short working times of the materials used and the need to eliminated all bubbles from both the clear molds and Urethane. A small Vacume chamer was used to do this however its a tricky thing to get right the 1st time. And the pressure is always on to get things right the 1st time especially when a few ounces of silicon is quite expensive. Overall I am pleased with my results.

No comments: